How to organize a syllabus in a lovely way:
--Be concise.
--Set office hours and place them at the top of the syllabus, not embedded deep within it. As to contact information, both a phone number and e-mail are necessary. While discussing the syllabus, let students know which is the best tool of contact, and how quickly they can expect a response.
--Post your exact policy for attendance, late work, and make-ups.
--Include the percentage breakdown of final grades into attendance, homework, exams, papers, final, etc.
--Include a time line with firm dates for all assignments, readings, and exams. This helps students plan their time, and asses how much effort to allot to the class.
--Do not cover all possible scenarios in the syllabus. Use bullet points for each subject likely to come up, and discuss it in class, so students can take notes on the topics most important to them, and use the bullet points for easy reference.
I really do feel strongly about this. I am much more successful in classes that are well organized, beginning with the syllabus. I changed history teachers yesterday because (in large part) of the syllabus' vague and rambling style. When the instructor refused to explain the questions I had--well, that was the death knell. Why waste my time with an instructor who irritates me on the first day?
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
5 comments:
I really like that you dropped that history professor. Stick it to him. What is he thinking not answering his students questions?
I LOVED my history professor at DVC. Remember Micky? With the long, long hair and the billygoat beard that twitched when he talked? I had him for "US history before 1776" or something like that. He praised Joe Smith, and was a great instructor. Take him if you can. (I can't vouch for his syllabus, however.)
PS: I guess it was history AFTER 1776... It may be that I have no idea.
Haha--That is so funny! Mickey is my new history teacher! I saw his name on the syllabus, and remembered how cool he was when I first met him. He still has the billygoat beard, and a long ponytail, but nowadays he doesn't play in any speed metal bands.
P.S. Are we related to him? His last name is Huff.
P.P.S. Would he remember you? Should I give him your greetings?
I really doubt he would remember me... let me think... there was nothing I did to stand out at all... Maybe you could tell him that I thought he gave Mormons a fair shake in his lecture, and I appreciated it. I think I did tell him that once. I would like you to send my greetings regardless!
I am so glad you have history with him! Which class is it? Once my cell phone recorded one of his lectures (I think maybe I accidentally called myself on my own phone during lecture, and the message was just him talking... ) And I had fun listening to it again... his lectures are THAT good! I bet you will do really well in his class. Two exams and one paper, right? Loved it.
You should consider signing up for an extra class each semester and then dropping whichever class has the worst teacher. The problem with doing this is sometimes you can't get a good schedule out of it, but when you're debating about two classes, sign up for them both and take the one with the best teacher. No reason to waste an entire semester with some crazy lunatic at the wheel.
Post a Comment