Thursday, October 2, 2008

I have a new love... I just hope Allison isn't a jealous woman

I must admit, I hate JavaScript. I hate coding it in. Here are some reasons:
  • The browser (Firefox, Internet Explorer 6, Internet Explorer 7, Safari) differences and how events are handled will drive one insane trying to make them all work at the same time. I used to have long flowing locks of hair that I have pulled out in due to this madness.
  • It is hard to debug.
  • It is very unfriendly for rookies to pickup and write something satisfying.
  • It has specific purposes, and trying to adapt it to something that it isn't made for is a bad idea. The problem is you don't often know what the best practices are.
I thought JS was going to die a long and painful death a few years ago, and then something called Ajax breathed life into it. With it and the wide-scale adoption of it by Google (Google Apps and Gmail anyone?) JavaScript isn't going anywhere.

I started a project where I needed to do a bunch of DHTML stuff, and I was really dreading it until I found my new love - jQuery. I have heard about jQuery for many years now, but never really looked into it. It addresses all the things I hate about it and really opened up my eyes to how JavaScript should be used, and what it shouldn't be used for.

It is awesome. If you are ever going to do some JavaScript work, pick up jQuery - a JavaScript framework that has tons of plugins, and support for all kinds of things. It makes the DOM model so easy to navigate and traverse through. I cannot recommend it enough.

Okay, this post is really just me publically proclaiming my love for jQuery. It has a special place in my heart next to my wonderful wife. Why she keeps putting up with me, I will never know!

No comments: